Water in your basement after a large storm or during the spring thaw is a common problem in our area. It will not only prevent you from being able to rely on your basement for storage or finally finishing the area, it can also cause a lot of serious problems by harboring mold and mildew growth. It is because of these negative impacts that we use expertly designed systems on the exterior and interior of buildings to both prevent water from entering as well as control any water that may enter a basement.
The causes of basement water are varied depending on the location of the water coming into the basement. The most common cause of water entering any area is an increase in hydrostatic pressure which is created when water soaks into the soil and does not have a proper drainage path. This pressure can cause wall cracks which will provide a location for water to enter your basement. Hydrostatic pressure is also the cause of many foundation repair problems we come across which is why it is important to properly evaluate the cause as well as providing a unique solution.
Our interior waterproofing solutions are used once water is discovered in the basement already. The systems are custom designed for every home and building and will consist of a few different main products. A water collection system, whether it is at the footer or below the walls, to ensure the water is stopped from entering your basement or storage area. A collector which is generally a sump pit. And finally, a sump pump which is the workhorse of any waterproofing system. The sump pump removes the water from the basement by pumping it up, out, and away from the building.
If the water has not started coming into the building or if we are providing waterproofing for a new construction project, we can use a number of different options for exterior waterproofing or foundation waterproofing. These solutions generally consist of a waterproof membrane applied to the outside of the foundation and the installation of a french drain pipe to divert water away from the foundation.
Battery Backup Sump Pumps
During any storm or the lengthy spring melt, your sump pump will probably be running much longer than it usually does and it is very important that it can keep running as long as it needs to. In the event of a power outage, we recommend installing a battery backup sump pump. Our battery backup systems will continuously charge the battery so if the power does go out, it will continue pumping water out of your home.
Keep your basement dry and functional professional residential waterproofing services in the Ithaca, NY area from Midstate Basement Authorities. Our team strives to work on every project as if it was their own home to provide every customer with the most trustworthy repairs we can. Whether we are installing a simple drain system or a comprehensive water collection and removal system, we want every product to perform correctly for the life of the system.
We offer hassle-free scheduling and competitive rates. Our experienced crews offer free inspections to determine what solutions are right for you. Our free estimates are more than a simple suggestion for a repair, we take the time to explain the different options and answer all of your questions. We use high-quality products as part of our commitment to excellence, and you can count on us for:
- Expert evaluation of your problem
- Prompt project completion
- Punctual and professional staff
- High-quality work
Once we have a system in place to capture and remove the excess water from your home, we will evaluate the humidity levels and, if necessary, install an appropriately sized dehumidifier. A dehumidifier will further help control the humidity levels in the basement and keep them at a level that is good for the health of the basement and will prevent the growth of mold and mildew. The dehumidifiers we use are industrial-strength for residential applications. This means they will not need to be emptied a few times a day and they will run for much longer than anything you could buy at a normal retail outlet.
Commercial waterproofing is a very different situation than residential applications. This is due to the increased footprint of commercial locations which means the solutions require the ability to control much larger amounts of water at higher volumes. Some people think that commercial waterproofing is solely for properties in high-precipitation areas. But water develops in building materials even in dry climates. Therefore, Midstate Basement Authorities offers thorough, dependable commercial waterproofing services for clients in and around Ithaca, NY.
Elaborate Work, Expert Service
A commercial waterproofing company like ours has to be especially adept at locating where the moisture is present in larger buildings. When condensation develops in between the components of walls and floors, it’s important to address the problem as quickly and efficiently as possible. And when you call on us for help, you can rest assured that we’ll arrive on the scene as soon as possible to provide the reliable waterproofing services you need.
Protect Your Property, Protect Yourself
Water damage can do more than just impact your property from an aesthetic perspective. It can also, in some cases, cause serious structural damage. And the presence and buildup of mold inside your home can result in unwanted health problems down the line. At Midstate Basement Authorities, our goal is to help you avoid the problems associated with water damage by providing thorough waterproofing services.
If you've got water in your basement, feel free to reach out to our team. We will have one of our experts come to your home or building to perform a thorough inspection and determine the best solution for your problem, all for free. We look forward to working with you.
Frequently Asked Basement Waterproofing Questions
- Can you waterproof a basement from the inside?
- Yes, a waterproofing system can be installed inside a home. There are two main types of waterproofing, interior and exterior waterproofing. Interior waterproofing focuses on collecting the water that would have been getting into the basement, sending it to a sump pit, and using a sump pump to remove the water from the building. Exterior waterproofing focuses on installation of a waterproofing membrane and typically a french drain type system to divert water away from the foundation.
- How can I waterproof my basement myself?
- There are many products advertised to waterproof a basement in the DIY sector. These tend to be waterproof paints or membranes that are installed inside the basement. Most experts in the waterproofing industry will advise against these types of products as they only mask the problem and do not provide a permanent solution that protects the basement from flooding.
- What is the best waterproofing system for basement?
- Over the years our company has found that the best type of waterproofing system focuses on the diversion, collection, and removal of water from the basement area. These systems include a water collection system installed at the footer or cove joint of the basement wall which is connected by a series of channels to a sump pit and uses a high quality sump pump to pump the water out of the basement.
- What is the average cost to waterproof a basement?
- The cost of waterproofing a basement will vary between situations depending on how much water is entering the basement, where it is entering, and how large of a system needs to be installed to remove the water. It is best to have a professional provide an estimate for the waterproofing job as there are too many factors to give a simple answer regarding the cost.